Keeping your HVAC units properly maintained is imperative to how long they function and how much your utility bills are. An HVAC system that is not properly maintained can become inefficient, leading to premature repairs or replacement. If you start seeing higher than normal utility bills, not maintaining your unit could be the problem.
How to Maintain Your Unit
There are many different ways that you ensure that your heating and air conditioning system is working well.
• Air filter. You will want to make sure that you change out your air filter at least every two months. If you have a washable air filter, you will want to clean it at least once a month. Doing this frequently will help to ensure that no dust and allergens build up in your home.
• Cleaning. You should clean your HVAC system several times a year. To clean properly, you should cut the unit off and vacuum around the unit. If the unit is very dusty, you can wipe it down with a warm cloth and vinegar. Do not get any of the inside components wet.
• Maintaining the outside unit. Dirt, leaves, and other debris can get inside your outdoor unit and affect its function. Periodically, check your outdoor machine for any leaves or debris. You can spray your outdoor unit down with your water hose.
• Routine maintenance. Having your local HVAC company do routine maintenance on your unit will help to ensure that your unit is working at peak efficiency.
• Clean your ductwork. You should have your ductwork inspected and cleaned yearly. This will help to ensure that your ductwork does not get clogged and the air in your home is clean.
• Thermostat. At least twice a year, you will want to change the batteries out in your thermostat and check to ensure that it is functioning correctly.
Doing these maintenance tips will help your HVAC unit be efficient and last for many years. If you need maintenance on your AC system or you are having an issue with it, please call The Dukes of Air today. We will be able to help you with all your heating and cooling needs.